History of EAST GODAVARI CHAPTER
The East Godavari District Chapter of INTACH was started in 1989 with the then District Collector Dr.Jayaprakash Narayana I.A.S. as the Convener and Shri K.Bhaskara Rao, (Retd.Asst.Director Agriculture) as the Co-Convener with about 25 members. In those years, the District Collector being the Convener, used to convene the meetings which was attended by the concerned Government officials along with the members, with the result that any issue which came up for discussion was immediately attended by them, and the action was fast. The present day scenario is totally different. The District Collectors are the Chief Patrons and hardly find any quality time for the INTACH issues. They cannot be blamed as, their pressure of work now is different from what it was in the earlier days.
History of EAST GODAVARI
East Godavari(often abbreviated as E.G.Dist, E.G.Dt) is a district situated on the northeast of the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. In Madras Presidency, The district of Rajahmundry was created in 1823. The Rajahmundry district was reorganized in 1859 into two - the Godavari and Krishna districts.Godavari district was further bifurcated into East and West Godavari districts in 1925. Its district headquarters is in Kakinada. It is the most populous district of Andhra Pradesh (out of 23). It was formed in 1925 when the old Godavari district was divided into west and east. In 1959 the Bhadrachalam Revenue Division, consisting of Bhadrachalam and Nuguru Venkatapuram Taluks of East Godavari district were merged into the Khammam district for geographical contiguity and administrative viability. The district is bounded on the north by Visakhapatnam District, on the northwest by Khammam District, on the east and south by the Bay of Bengal and on the west by West Godavari District. The small enclave (12 sq mi (30 km²)) of the Yanam district of Puducherry state lies within this district. Rajahmundry and Kakinada are the two large cities in the Godavari districts. East Godavari district is also known as the rice bowl of Andhra Pradesh with lush paddy fields and coconut groves.